Sunday, May 20, 2012

Flesh and Earth Tone Colors



One of the things that used to be very annoying was returning to my palette to find that the colors had begun to skin over making it necessary to do a small slit in the covering to get at fresh color. Then I began a practice of just adding fresh paint to each color pile. I didn't clean off the palette each time except for the mixing area. That method kept all the colors in a given spot and made it easier to go directly to the color I needed. Over time, however, my palette began to look like a sculpture as shown above. It dawned on me finally how much paint I was wasting. Paint is very expensive and getting more so.

My solution was rather simple. I do a lot of portrait work and believe that most skin tones are grays tinted with the primaries for color and white for value. Since the primaries constitue the basis for all colors, it seemed reasonable to me that by mixing all the leftover colors on my daily palette in to one big pile the result would be neutral colors ranging from cool to warm to an unidentifiable non-color. The non-color being one that could not be categorized as being in the yellow, blue or red family and could not be considered to be warm or cool with any certainty. I began to place this left-over paint in tubes which are available in various sizes in most good art supply stores. The result was that I was no longer wasting left-over paint. Soon I had a wide variety of grays that were very useful as earth tones in landscapes and other subjects. These neutrals also were also very effective in reducing the intensity of a color without changing a color. As green (the compliment of red) is useful in reducing the intensity of red and vice-versa, the same effect could be achieved by with a touch of a neutral to the red.

I experimented more with these neutrals as the base color for skin tones. I would take a warm or cool neutral and add a dominent color such as cadmium red and white using the red and the neutral to establish the darkest value of the color and white to raise the value to the desired level. The resulting color would be be put in a tube. I did this using a wide range of dominent colors from warm to cool and before long all that left-over paint that once was wasted was transformed in to a spectacular range of skin tones. A small example is shown above.

So began a practice of collecting all the left over paint from the palettes of my students at the end of each painting session to be put in a common mixing jar (baby food jars are ideal). When the jar is full it is mixed to its natural color and tinted to a desired dominent color before being placed in the tube. These tubes of color are for the use of the painting group so they can pick and choose for the session. At the end of the day, the process is repeated.









No comments: